Getting Data In

How to monitor [WinEventLog://System] event logs for "Critical" or "Error" event logs only (Level 1 and 2)

mlevsh
Builder

Is there any way to monitor System Event Viewer logs ( [WinEventLog://System] ) for Event Level set to "Critical" and/or "Error" only (Level =1 or 2) ?

alt text

0 Karma

danielransell
Path Finder

It appears Splunk should allow you to whitelist based on Type, which is the field/key where the level is sent.

I would start with:
whitelist = Type="^[1|2]"

references:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Data/MonitorWindowseventlogdata#Create_advanced_fi...
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394226(v=vs.85).aspx

mlevsh
Builder

@danielransell , confirmed. I was able to test it yesterday: used "whitelist = Type = "Error" " in our test environment

0 Karma

danielransell
Path Finder

I think you want to look at whitelisting for this. I have blacklisted certain event codes when ingesting security logs - I believe you can also perform whitelisting, that is on ingest events that meet a particular criteria.

0 Karma

mlevsh
Builder

@danielransell we whitelist Event Codes , for example. But cannot find any mentioning on how to whitelist Levels (Critical, Error)

0 Karma

jconger
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

To whitelist levels, you would need to create a whitelist regex. you should be able to mix event IDs and regex with separate lines like so:

whitelist1 = <list of eventIDs>
whitelist2 = key=regex [key=regex]
0 Karma

mlevsh
Builder

@ jconger , it's not clear to me what you mean. can you , please, give more details or examples?
We are trying to get errors no matter what event ID is.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...