Getting Data In

How to monitor Powershell Command Line history?

bestSplunker
Contributor

I enabled the powershell logging function on WinServer2k8 or Winserver2012 in following steps

create a default profile:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Profile.ps1

Add these to default profile.ps1 file

$LogCommandHealthEvent  =   $true   
$LogCommandLifecycleEvent   =   $true

Then I try executing a powershell command in powershell window,I can see this record in the event viewer.

alt text

Now ,I will use splunk forwarder push that to splunk , I created following inputs.conf stanza:

c:\program files\splunk forwarder\apps\splunk_TA_Windows\local\inputs.conf

[WinEventLog://Windows Powershell]
disabled=0

`
I also tried the following inputs

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Powershell/Operational]
disabled=0

Splunk can't receive the PowerShell log,However, I can receive Windows Security log, so I think I might input Invalid stanza in inputs.conf and I can't find an error that related inputs from internal log

Who can tell me how to create inputs stanza correctly?

0 Karma
1 Solution

bestSplunker
Contributor

I've solved this problem. I found doc related it: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/MonitorWindowsdata#Configure_remote_event_log...

Note: Use the log properties' "Full Name:" to index. For example, to monitor Task Scheduler in Microsoft> Windows > TaskScheduler >Operational, right click on Operational and select properties. Use the "Full Name" to append to WinEventLog:// stanza:

So the correct configuration should is:

[WinEventLog://Windows PowerShell]
disabled = 0
index=wineventlog

I'm used to search wineventlog index, but these events are default indexed into the index main if you do not configure the index name.So

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bestSplunker
Contributor

I've solved this problem. I found doc related it: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/MonitorWindowsdata#Configure_remote_event_log...

Note: Use the log properties' "Full Name:" to index. For example, to monitor Task Scheduler in Microsoft> Windows > TaskScheduler >Operational, right click on Operational and select properties. Use the "Full Name" to append to WinEventLog:// stanza:

So the correct configuration should is:

[WinEventLog://Windows PowerShell]
disabled = 0
index=wineventlog

I'm used to search wineventlog index, but these events are default indexed into the index main if you do not configure the index name.So

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...