Getting Data In

How to monitor Powershell Command Line history?

bestSplunker
Contributor

I enabled the powershell logging function on WinServer2k8 or Winserver2012 in following steps

create a default profile:

C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Profile.ps1

Add these to default profile.ps1 file

$LogCommandHealthEvent  =   $true   
$LogCommandLifecycleEvent   =   $true

Then I try executing a powershell command in powershell window,I can see this record in the event viewer.

alt text

Now ,I will use splunk forwarder push that to splunk , I created following inputs.conf stanza:

c:\program files\splunk forwarder\apps\splunk_TA_Windows\local\inputs.conf

[WinEventLog://Windows Powershell]
disabled=0

`
I also tried the following inputs

[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-Powershell/Operational]
disabled=0

Splunk can't receive the PowerShell log,However, I can receive Windows Security log, so I think I might input Invalid stanza in inputs.conf and I can't find an error that related inputs from internal log

Who can tell me how to create inputs stanza correctly?

0 Karma
1 Solution

bestSplunker
Contributor

I've solved this problem. I found doc related it: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/MonitorWindowsdata#Configure_remote_event_log...

Note: Use the log properties' "Full Name:" to index. For example, to monitor Task Scheduler in Microsoft> Windows > TaskScheduler >Operational, right click on Operational and select properties. Use the "Full Name" to append to WinEventLog:// stanza:

So the correct configuration should is:

[WinEventLog://Windows PowerShell]
disabled = 0
index=wineventlog

I'm used to search wineventlog index, but these events are default indexed into the index main if you do not configure the index name.So

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bestSplunker
Contributor

I've solved this problem. I found doc related it: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/MonitorWindowsdata#Configure_remote_event_log...

Note: Use the log properties' "Full Name:" to index. For example, to monitor Task Scheduler in Microsoft> Windows > TaskScheduler >Operational, right click on Operational and select properties. Use the "Full Name" to append to WinEventLog:// stanza:

So the correct configuration should is:

[WinEventLog://Windows PowerShell]
disabled = 0
index=wineventlog

I'm used to search wineventlog index, but these events are default indexed into the index main if you do not configure the index name.So

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...