Getting Data In

How to make "en-GB" default in url?

kavraja
Path Finder

Hi,

I've gone through a number of documents on this without finding success.

At the moment my date format is mm/dd/yy with "en-US" in my url but I want to change it to dd/mm/yy. I have gone through other splunk answers and got this working through changing the url to "en-GB" but I have to do this every time i log back into splunk.

Is there a way of making the "en-GB" default in the url or any other method of changing the date format so that by default it shows up as dd/mm/yy?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ryantzj
Explorer

Hi there Kavraja,

You can set en-GB as default in url by simply changing the language setting in i18n.py file under directory below

Splunk 5.x

splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/i18n.py

Splunk 6.x

Splunk/Python-2.7/Lib/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/il8n.py

And simply change en-US to en-GB, it will take effect once you restart your splunk

locales = parse_accept_languages(request.headers.get('accept-language', 'en-US'))

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

ryantzj
Explorer

Hi there Kavraja,

You can set en-GB as default in url by simply changing the language setting in i18n.py file under directory below

Splunk 5.x

splunk/lib/python2.6/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/i18n.py

Splunk 6.x

Splunk/Python-2.7/Lib/site-packages/splunk/appserver/mrsparkle/lib/il8n.py

And simply change en-US to en-GB, it will take effect once you restart your splunk

locales = parse_accept_languages(request.headers.get('accept-language', 'en-US'))

Hope this helps.

andrewtobin
Engager

Thanks for this answer - but how is this not a setting in the server? This is something that half the world would need. Seems like something that would be expected to be a simple flag.

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @andrewtobin, this is indeed annoying. Some time ago I found a little Chrome plug-in ( Link in here https://answers.splunk.com/answers/206129/is-it-possible-to-change-the-date-format-when-runn.html ) which makes that with for you from en-US to en-GB for example. Another approach is to run an Apache Web server as reverse proxy in front of Splunk and rewrite the URL - example can be found here: http://blogs.splunk.com/2016/02/04/sso-without-an-active-directory-or-ldap-provider/

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

ryantzj
Explorer

if thats the case, maybe you want to try this solution.

http://answers.splunk.com/answers/10265/change-default-web-ui-locale.html

I am using version 6.1.4 too, and altering il8n.py is working good for me.

0 Karma

kavraja
Path Finder

Yeah I know these should work but doesn't seem to for me for some very strange reason. Will need to test this on a different machine. I've made a workaround in the mean time by manually putting in en-GB in the url and saving it as a bookmark. This seems to remain on en-GB every time I log back in and out 😕

Thanks for all your help ryantzj.

0 Karma

kavraja
Path Finder

Hey ryantzj,
I tried this and changed it to "en-GB" but the en-US still shows up in the url and date format still the same even after restarting the machine and splunk. Not sure what I'm doing wrong 😞
Using splunk 6.1.4

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...