Getting Data In

How to make a "join" work even when the events or sourcetype on one side don't exist

thisissplunk
Builder

I've got a query that uses a join to join events from two different sourcetypes. Sometimes the second sourcetype doesn't exist yet, and this breaks the entire query.

How can I try to determine if the sourcetype exists, and do something else that won't break the join?

Ex:

index=customer1 sourcetype=host_info
| join hostname [search index=customer1 sourcetype=dhcplogs]
| stats count by dhcp_ip _time

Sometimes we don't have dhcplogs for certain customers, and this query breaks on those.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=customer1 AND (sourcetype=host_info OR sourcetype=dhcplogs)
| fillnull dhcp_ip value="N/A"
0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this...

index=customer1 sourcetype=host_info
 | fields _time hostname
 | join type=left hostname [search index=customer1 sourcetype=dhcplogs | table hostname dhcp_ip  ]
 | eval dhcp_ip = coalesce(dhcp_ip,"((Not found))")

Technically, _time doesn't need to be in the fields command, but I wanted to show where I believed it was coming from.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi there,

here is a hint how it could be done https://answers.splunk.com/answers/176466/how-to-use-eval-if-there-is-no-result-from-the-bas-1.html or read this to replace or this one https://answers.splunk.com/answers/129424/how-to-compare-fields-over-multiple-sourcetypes-without-jo... to replace the join with a stats 😉

cheers, MuS

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...