Getting Data In

How to integrate SNMP data sources into Splunk Enterprise?

TAE
Engager

Does anyone have suggestions on integrating a SNMP enabled device into Splunk Enterprise?  I'm very new to Splunk and have been asked to integrate an SNMP enabled device into our Splunk Enterprise.  I think I need to somehow link a Forwarder to the device and have the Forwarder act as a receiver of device's information.  Once that data is in the Forwarder, I think it should be processed by an associated Indexer and then it should be available within Splunk.  Is that correct or do I misunderstand?

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are several ready-made apps on splunkbase for polling data with SNMP. You could try one of these.

You can also simply try wrapping simple snmpget/snmpwalk from snmp tools into some kind of script, call it from cron and save results to a file. Then you can easily ingest the data from file.

In case of SNMP traps I think it's easiest to just run snmptrapd and ingest its logs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...