Getting Data In

How to get Bytes Ingested by host/source Over a Specified Time?

fredclown
Contributor

Does anyone know of a way to get bytes ingested by host and source over a specified time? I know I can use the license_usage.log to get index and sourcetype like  this ...

index="_internal" source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log" sourcetype="splunkd" type="Usage"
| stats sum(b) as bytes by idx
| rename idx as index
| sort - bytes

or this ...

index="_internal" source="/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/license_usage.log" sourcetype="splunkd" type="Usage"
| stats sum(b) as bytes by st
| rename st as sourcetype
| sort - bytes

However, you cannot use it reliably for host and source because it squashes the data to prevent too many events. I know that can be tuned in server.conf with squash_threshold but that would be an arbitrary value that could potentially need to keep changing and honestly it's set that way to not overload the system. So, I'm left wondering if anyone knows of a way to get that data without using license_usage.log.

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I afraid that the only way is just sum up to all length of _raw by those events. See. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/How-does-Splunk-calculate-license-usage-splunk-license-...
r. Ismo 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I afraid that the only way is just sum up to all length of _raw by those events. See. https://community.splunk.com/t5/Installation/How-does-Splunk-calculate-license-usage-splunk-license-...
r. Ismo 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...