Getting Data In

How to format output of REST API using .Net.WebClient in Powershell?

williamberrysr
Engager

I have the following script. I am trying to format the output to CSV format, not HTML. Unfortunately the Output_Mode=csv does not work with the connection string. Any suggestions?

NOTE: I cannot use curl as I have to get the credentials from the end user prior to connection.

----- SCRIPT ------

function New-TrustAllWebClient {
    # Create a compilation environment
    $Provider=New-Object Microsoft.CSharp.CSharpCodeProvider
    $Compiler=$Provider.CreateCompiler()
    $Params=New-Object System.CodeDom.Compiler.CompilerParameters
    $Params.GenerateExecutable=$False
    $Params.GenerateInMemory=$True
    $Params.IncludeDebugInformation=$False
    $Params.ReferencedAssemblies.Add("System.DLL") > $null
    $TASource=@'
      namespace Local.ToolkitExtensions.Net.CertificatePolicy {
        public class TrustAll : System.Net.ICertificatePolicy {
          public TrustAll() { 
          }
          public bool CheckValidationResult(System.Net.ServicePoint sp,
            System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate cert, 
            System.Net.WebRequest req, int problem) {
            return true;
          }
        }
      }
'@ 
    $TAResults=$Provider.CompileAssemblyFromSource($Params,$TASource)
    $TAAssembly=$TAResults.CompiledAssembly
    ## We now create an instance of the TrustAll and attach it to the ServicePointManager
    $TrustAll=$TAAssembly.CreateInstance("Local.ToolkitExtensions.Net.CertificatePolicy.TrustAll")
    [System.Net.ServicePointManager]::CertificatePolicy=$TrustAll
    ## The ESX Upload requires the Preauthenticate value to be true which is not the default
    ## for the System.Net.WebClient class which has very simple-to-use downloadFile and uploadfile
    ## methods.  We create an override class which simply sets that Preauthenticate value.
    ## After creating an instance of the Local.ToolkitExtensions.Net.WebClient class, we use it just
    ## like the standard WebClient class.
    $WCSource=@'
      namespace Local.ToolkitExtensions.Net {
        class WebClient : System.Net.WebClient {
          protected override System.Net.WebRequest GetWebRequest(System.Uri uri) {
            System.Net.WebRequest webRequest = base.GetWebRequest(uri);
            webRequest.PreAuthenticate = true;
            webRequest.Timeout = 10000;
            return webRequest;
          }
        }
      }
'@
    $WCResults=$Provider.CompileAssemblyFromSource($Params,$WCSource)
    $WCAssembly=$WCResults.CompiledAssembly
    ## Now return the custom WebClient. It behaves almost like a normal WebClient.
    $WebClient=$WCAssembly.CreateInstance("Local.ToolkitExtensions.Net.WebClient")
    return $WebClient
}
# Example of using this function to upload a file over SSL.
# Notice that the object you get back from New-TrustAllWebClient is almost identical
# to what you would get from new-object system.net.webclient.
 $loc=get-location 
 $wc = New-TrustAllWebClient
 $credential = get-credential
 $wc.set_Credentials($credential.GetNetworkCredential())
 $URL = "https://iosplunkprd-v5:8089/services/search/jobs/export"
 $wc.UploadString($URL, "POST", "search=search EventCode=4740 user=* daysago=1 |Table Caller_Computer_Name,_time") 
0 Karma
1 Solution

williamberrysr
Engager

Disregard.... I found the answer. I have to use the & sign and then the output format.

$wc.UploadString($URL, "POST", "search=search EventCode=4740 user=* daysago=1 |Table Caller_Computer_Name,_time&output_mode=csv")

View solution in original post

williamberrysr
Engager

Disregard.... I found the answer. I have to use the & sign and then the output format.

$wc.UploadString($URL, "POST", "search=search EventCode=4740 user=* daysago=1 |Table Caller_Computer_Name,_time&output_mode=csv")
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...