Getting Data In

How to force timezone for AWS Add-On Inputs (like CloudFront)

rewtroy
Explorer

With the AWS Add-On for Splunk (version 5.0.3) we can pull logs from a CloudFront S3 bucket via the "Generic S3" type, or from an Application Load Balance with the ELB, Generic S3 type Input.

The problem is that the time format for the CloudFront logs are without timezone specified in the S3 objects and our splunk instance is incorrectly defaulting to localtime.  The ELB logs are correctly converted from UTC to localtime in searches.

How might we force the timezone to UTC for these events at ingest?

I tried creating a /opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_aws/local/props.conf file (yes, $SPLUNK_HOME is /opt/splunk) on our heavy forwarder and restarted with this content:

[aws:cloudfront:accesslogs]
TZ = UTC

Alas, no dice yet.  Suggestions?

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rewtroy
Explorer

Ahh, I think I found the issue.  The TA was pulling in data when it thought it occurred at the present time, but it was interpreting UTC time as -0400 (EDT), thus it was always 4 hours behind the latest.  When it was unwedged, it kept processing data for another four hours and stopped, but I also introduced another problem which caused it to abruptly stop.  I fixed that problem, and retroactively loaded in the old data, so it was able to catch up the gap.  Sometimes you need to spend many hours on a timezone problem before the evidence catches up with you.

Problem now solved.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rewtroy
Explorer

Hmm,

[splunk@ess1 Splunk_TA_aws]$ splunk btool props list aws:cloudfront:accesslogs | grep TZ
TZ = UTC

0 Karma

rewtroy
Explorer

Ahh, I think I found the issue.  The TA was pulling in data when it thought it occurred at the present time, but it was interpreting UTC time as -0400 (EDT), thus it was always 4 hours behind the latest.  When it was unwedged, it kept processing data for another four hours and stopped, but I also introduced another problem which caused it to abruptly stop.  I fixed that problem, and retroactively loaded in the old data, so it was able to catch up the gap.  Sometimes you need to spend many hours on a timezone problem before the evidence catches up with you.

Problem now solved.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...