Getting Data In

How to figure out what an instance is considered if I am on the deployment server, client, search head, forwarder, or indexer?

Zamoraw

Hi there, I'm fairly new to Splunk and I am still a bit confused as to how I can tell what an instance is considered. I am not sure how to check if I am on the deployment server, client, search head, forwarder, or indexer. They all look the same to me. Is there anything in the configuration files that will tell me what it's acting as?

0 Karma
1 Solution

abrown_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Zamoraw,

Please note that at present, Splunk Insights for Infrastructure only supports deployment in a clean environment. If you're running Insights for Infrastructure, this question is a bit moot. If you're running the App for Infrastructure, we only support single-node deployments, so your Instance would be all the things.

If this is a general question (how do I tell what role my Splunk node is playing), You may be able to determine this via the Monitoring Console: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/DMC/DMCoverview

View solution in original post

0 Karma

abrown_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi Zamoraw,

Please note that at present, Splunk Insights for Infrastructure only supports deployment in a clean environment. If you're running Insights for Infrastructure, this question is a bit moot. If you're running the App for Infrastructure, we only support single-node deployments, so your Instance would be all the things.

If this is a general question (how do I tell what role my Splunk node is playing), You may be able to determine this via the Monitoring Console: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/DMC/DMCoverview

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...