Getting Data In

How to exclude searching of certain indexers by role?

mjones414
Contributor

I have a shared search head used by different groups where those groups have set up their own indexers. They want to use our search head, but we don't want them to search across our indexers or vice versa. Right now, the only way I can do this is a search restriction at a role level which says splunk_server!=<indexer_name>. Seems like this is just prefixing a search, and I am just wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

This is an unusual configuration. Generally, you should use separate search heads in this case.

But if you want to share the search head, I think you have hit upon the only solution that I know - unless each group has used a unique set of names for their indexes.

For example: Group A uses indexes named web and security. Group B uses indexes named OS and network. No one uses the main index. In this case, you could set the index visibility for the roles instead of using the search restriction. This might be more efficient.

Often though, both groups will have used the main index on their indexers - leaving you only with the search restriction solution that you have already discovered.

IF the search load is light, you could also designate one of the indexers as the search head for a team, and have it search the other indexers. This solution is best for 4 indexers or fewer. If one set of indexers is small enough, this will allow you to separate the search heads for the teams.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

This is an unusual configuration. Generally, you should use separate search heads in this case.

But if you want to share the search head, I think you have hit upon the only solution that I know - unless each group has used a unique set of names for their indexes.

For example: Group A uses indexes named web and security. Group B uses indexes named OS and network. No one uses the main index. In this case, you could set the index visibility for the roles instead of using the search restriction. This might be more efficient.

Often though, both groups will have used the main index on their indexers - leaving you only with the search restriction solution that you have already discovered.

IF the search load is light, you could also designate one of the indexers as the search head for a team, and have it search the other indexers. This solution is best for 4 indexers or fewer. If one set of indexers is small enough, this will allow you to separate the search heads for the teams.

0 Karma

mjones414
Contributor

Thanks for the help. The primary reason for doing this is because this same group also shares our VirtualCenter, therefore our instance is already pulling in all of their vmware cluster data with the exception of their actual syslogs. There doesn't appear to be a way in the vmware app to segregate multi-tenant vcenter clusters so this was the next best thing we could come up with.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...