Getting Data In

How to drop events using inputs.conf?

leejones4
Explorer

We have a Syslog server collecting data from Meraki Wireless devices.  There is a UF installed on the Syslog server sending data to Splunk.  I have been trying to use Blacklist to filter out the ICMP protocol events which we don't need and I have been unable to drop them.  The entry in my inputs.conf file for this are:

[monitor:///syslog0/syslog/meraki/*/*.log]
disabled=0
host_segment = 4

blacklist1 = protocol=icmp
blacklist2 = "(?192.\168.\30.\143.)"
blacklist3 = 10.\12.\239.\7
index = network
sourcetype = meraki

I have tried a number of variations and have been unable to get the "protocol=icmp" to drop.  Is there something obvious that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. You're missing one important thing. Blacklisting events on input works for windows event log input only. It doesn't even work for windows events pulled with WMI. And definitely does not work with file monitor input.

You have to filter your events in props/transforms on the first "heavy" component - HF or indexer - in event's path.

View solution in original post

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes. You're missing one important thing. Blacklisting events on input works for windows event log input only. It doesn't even work for windows events pulled with WMI. And definitely does not work with file monitor input.

You have to filter your events in props/transforms on the first "heavy" component - HF or indexer - in event's path.

leejones4
Explorer

That was what I was wondering.  Thank you for pointing it out, now I can move on and try the props.conf and the transforms. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...