Getting Data In

How to disable the host extraction for syslog sourcetype

mataharry
Communicator

I noticed that the host in syslog events is not the forwarder hostname, but is extracted from the events.
How to avoid that ?

example or inputs.conf, I try to force the host

[monitor://var/log/app/]
sourcetype=syslog
host=gloubiboulga

but the events have a different host in it

Jan 13 06:36:45 biffur rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="4.2.0" x-pid="2857" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed, type 'lightweight'.
Jan 14 06:33:23 bonfur rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="4.2.0" x-pid="2857" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed, type 'lightweight'.

1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The syslog sourcetype is different from all the others. The host is extracted from the events. and the expected format it like :
FYI you can look at the default rules for syslog in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/props.conf and transforms.conf (but do not edit the defaults)

You have to use another source type or disable this special syslog feature.

I recommend to define another sourcetype (like syslog_nohost), and still can use a sourcetype renaming at search-time.

example on the indexer in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf (or any any app)

# props.conf
# new sourcetype : syslog without host extraction
# please note the empty TRANSFORMS line

[syslog_nohost]
TRANSFORMS =
pulldown_type = true
maxDist = 3
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 32
REPORT-syslog = syslog-extractions
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The syslog sourcetype is different from all the others. The host is extracted from the events. and the expected format it like :
FYI you can look at the default rules for syslog in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/props.conf and transforms.conf (but do not edit the defaults)

You have to use another source type or disable this special syslog feature.

I recommend to define another sourcetype (like syslog_nohost), and still can use a sourcetype renaming at search-time.

example on the indexer in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/props.conf (or any any app)

# props.conf
# new sourcetype : syslog without host extraction
# please note the empty TRANSFORMS line

[syslog_nohost]
TRANSFORMS =
pulldown_type = true
maxDist = 3
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 32
REPORT-syslog = syslog-extractions
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = False

mataharry
Communicator

I will try that, I have syslog logs for other servers, so I prefer not to change the default.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...