Getting Data In

How to delete password of inputs.conf from a modular input?

ivan5593
Engager

Hello,

I have created a modular input using the example of splunk-app-example. It extends the class Script and I modified the get_scheme function adding arguments

(example) key_secret = Argument("key_secret") key_secret.title = "Key Secret" key_secret.data_type = Argument.data_type_string key_secret.required_on_create = True  

This code allows to save key_secret as a plain string, which is clearly unsecure. Investigating I reached to the storage_password endpoints, and I added the following to stream_events method:

if key_secret != "":

secrets = self.service.storage_passwords

storage_passwords = self.service.storage_passwords

storage_password = storage_passwords.create(key_secret, key_id, tenant) input_item.update({"key_secret": ""})

else:

key_secret = next(secret for secret in secrets if (secret.realm == tenant and secret.username == key_id)).clear_password

This is not working, as I cannot modify the input definition, is storing both in storage_passwords and in inputs.conf. Is there any way in code to delete the inputs.conf password, or what is the correct way to manage this?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ivan5593
Engager

I saw this posts and I adapted the solutions provided using the templates on splunk-app-examples repository. I have now working the modular input and I can create the password as shown before but my issue is more with deleting the plain inputs.conf password and use only the cyphered password on the storage passwords container.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @ivan5593,

if you call the moduls input by Splunk, the password is automatically encrypted, so you can delete (if present) another input.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...