Getting Data In

How to delete duplicate events?

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Each event has been ingested twice with the same uuid.

i want to keep one event only for each uuid.

How to delete one event only for each uuid? 

for searching index="okta*" | dedup uuid, it will show events with the unique uuid only
it will show half of total events that i want.

then i run index="okta*" | dedup uuid | delete , but this operation is not allowed 

it will show "this command cannot be invoked after the command simpleresultcombiner"

Anyone have suggestion?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Firstly, there is not much point in "deleting" data - you already "paid" for it with your license if you're using volume-based licensing so it might as well just stay there 😉

But seriously, I'd start with improving the data onbooarding process so you can identify the duplicates and prevent them from being ingested in the first place. There is no point in indexing data only to have it filtered out all the time.

vinod743374
Communicator

Please go through this link i hope  you may find the solution to it.

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/How-to-delete-duplicate-events/m-p/70656/highlight/tru...

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

jerjer95119_0-1648534425946.png

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please, don't do it. If you can't copy-paste properly, don't do it! Especially that it's a potentially destructive command that can mean that you can lose your data.

It's not to make fun of you or anything it's just that if you don't understand what this search does and you're just copying it blindly, you can cause much harm!

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

And the subsearch maxout is 10000. Please suggest a way that can dedup all data from index without limit.

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

No. This is not a delete command.

Please suggest a way to dedup the data.

0 Karma

vinod743374
Communicator

As Per my Understanding I gave you this Solution,
You Can Try if it Solves your Issue.

Capture.PNG

 I hope Like this you have the Data, there are some Duplicates in the index in UID field.
I removed the duplicates with the below Query

index="testing" sourcetype="csv" | table UID "Reason Code" Shift "From Date" "To Date" | streamstats count by UID | where count = 1 | fields - count

Capture2.PNGYou can see the duplicates is being removed.
I don't know whether there is any limit of 10000 or not , You can try ,Hope it works.

Thankyou;

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

i will try this query thank you.

but can this query add "| delete" to delete data rather than just dedup when searching?

index="testing" sourcetype="csv" | table UID "Reason Code" Shift "From Date" "To Date" | streamstats count by UID | where count = 1 | fields - count | delete

because if i just dedup in searching , i just did "index="okta*" | dedup uuid" and fine.

but i want to delete from index rather than just dedup in searching every time.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, you cannot. It's kinda complicated and it's because of how splunk works and where and how various commands are performed. Streamstats is _not_ a distributable streaming command so after that command you cannot do | delete.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can sort your events and then do streamstats with a relatively short window (like 3 or so) to count events by raw event value giving you effectively each event with a value of either 1 or 2 as count. Then you would only need to filter to see the events with the count=1

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

i mentioned all the data are with uuid count=2.
so i want to cut it as half, do you have solution? thanks

0 Karma

jerjer95119
Loves-to-Learn Lots

i tried, it is not working

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...