Getting Data In

How to create a dashboard studio chain search with dropdown token?

anewuser
Loves-to-Learn

Background I would like to create a dashboard with dropdowns that allow underlying queries to create chart to filter differently depending on dropdown values. For performance reasons, I'd also want the dashboard's to be powered by saved searches.

Setup:

- Drop downs

- Saved searches on unfiltered queries,

- Chain searches to referencing saved searches and filter by drop down value

Problem: 

When I did the chain search with the drop down token value, the token does not get translated into a value. For instance: My dropdown's token is called "dd". When I did my chain search by " | search myfield="$dd$", the query does not return anything. If I open the entire search query, it shows I am trying to do:

<saved search query>
| search myfield="$dd$"

The expectation would be instead

<saved search query>
| search myfield="<my dd value>"

Is this not supported?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@anewuser - Have you tried using the savedsearch command. - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/latest/SearchReference/Savedsearch

An example could be:

| savedsearch mysearch replace_me="value"

Here your savedsearch itself would have token in it like:

index=xyz event_id=$replace_me$ ......

I hope this helps!!!

0 Karma

anewuser
Loves-to-Learn

It seems like it is indeed not supported: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/DashApp/0.9.0/DashApp/dsChain

In that case, what's the recommended approach to create a dashboard with saved searches that are filtered by dropdown? I'd imagine that is a very common use case.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...