Getting Data In

How to count number of instances when a forwarder is down?

rongruspe

I have a forwarder that forwards data every 60 seconds.

I would like to know the count when the forwarder is down (means there's no network and/or the machine is off/no power)

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | bucket _time span=1m | stats count by _time | where count = 0 | stats sum(count) AS NumMinutesWithNoData

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | bucket _time span=1m | stats count by _time | where count = 0 | stats sum(count) AS NumMinutesWithNoData
0 Karma

rongruspe

I tried it and find by host, but id didn't work

host="host_name" | bucket _time span=1m| stats count by _time | where count = 0 | stats sum(count) AS NumMinutesWithNoData

Also tried asterisk, but to no avail...

* | bucket _time span=1m| stats count by _time | where count = 0 | stats sum(count) AS NumMinutesWithNoData

Is there something I missed?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

No, there is something I missed, which is that stats does not pass along empty buckets but timechart does, so try this:

host="host_name" | timechart span=1m count | where count = 0 | stats sum(count) AS NumMinutesWithNoData
0 Karma

rongruspe

Unfortunately, it's still not returning anything. I even deleted "where count=0" to count those that are able to send, but still it returns nothing. Maybe at that specific minute, the forwarder did not send anything? is there like a duration in between 1 minute? There could be cases when the forwarder forwards data by 1m:15secs.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are not getting anything from host="host_name" | timechart span=1m count then there is nothing more to say. There is something wrong with your question or your search. The timechart based solution should work just fine.

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

Not knowing your role, just a quick note.... maybe you're not searching the desired indexes by default, so you can add index=* to your base search too. If you're literally not getting any results at all and you expect at least something, then that might be the issue.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Good point, fully qualify your search by adding index= and sourcetype= phrases and maybe it will work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...