Getting Data In

How to copy data from an index to another machine

_pravin
Communicator

Hi
I have a use case that involves copying historical data from a 3-indexer cluster (6 months old) to another machine. I have considered two potential solutions:

1. Stop one of the indexers and copy the index from the source to the destination. The only drawback could be that the data might be incomplete, but this is not a concern as the data is for testing purposes. Given the volume of data, this process could take a significant amount of time.
  2. Create a new index using the collect command with the required set of data, then copy the index to the other machine. I believe this would be the best way to implement this use case. However, the downside is that the data volume is quite large and might take a considerable amount of time to execute the SPL in the search head, potentially affecting the performance of the SH. I am unsure if the collect command can handle such a large search and create an index. Is there a limitation on the size of the data when using the collect command?

Please advise on how to best handle this scenario.

Regards,
Pravin

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Optimize Cloud Monitoring

TECH TALKS Optimize Cloud Monitoring Tuesday, August 13, 2024  |  11:00AM–12:00PM PST   Register to ...

What's New in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403! Analysts can ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to July and August Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Dive into our sizzling summer lineup for July and August Community Office Hours and Tech Talks. Scroll down to ...