Getting Data In

How to convert my date and time field into a human readable format?

aaronevil

First, I read similar Question/Answers and was able to follow them for other time formats. These work well but didn't address the specific format my timestamp is in.

Use Case:
I have a field called "StartTime" and it has time in the following format: 2017-02-05T10:02:00.000-0800

I would like this to be converted for all fields so that when I table "StartTime" I get human readable format. I will be doing the same conversion for a field called "EndTime" which is in the same format.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's already in human-readable format, but if you want to change the format try this:

... | fieldformat StartTime=strftime(strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p") | fieldformat EndTime=strftime(strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p") | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's already in human-readable format, but if you want to change the format try this:

... | fieldformat StartTime=strftime(strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p") | fieldformat EndTime=strftime(strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p") | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

aaronevil

This is actually along the lines of what I was trying initially. When I use fieldformat with strf and strp it removes all data from that field when I table it.

index="my_index"
| dedup key
| search key!=""
| fieldformat "StartTime"=strftime(strptime("StartTime","%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"), "%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p")
| table key Summary StartTime

Results in StartTime being empty within the table.

0 Karma

splunker1981
Path Finder

Get rid of your quotes

|stats count | fields - count | eval StartTime="2017-02-05T10:02:00.000-0800"
| fieldformat StartTime=strftime(strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z"),"%m-%d-%Y %H:%M %p")
| table StartTime
0 Karma

aaronevil

Doh. Always the little things. I appreciate the additional eyes.

0 Karma

splunker1981
Path Finder

What do you mean by human readable, can you provide an example of what you'd like the end result to look like

0 Karma

aaronevil

Something similar to "2-5-2017 10:02 AM" for the example listed above.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...