Getting Data In

How to configure props.conf to break the event before the timestamp?

mhlesourd

Hello,

I'm having some issue with the configuration on one of my source. Even after configuring the props.conf, events are not broken properly.

Format of my source :

09:39:37.889 INFO  [main] Instantiated BDPeriodicAgent - o.i.p.m.b.s.impl.BDPeriodicAgent:57
09:39:37.921 DEBUG [main] Started meeting lifecycle agent to run every 36000 s - o.i.p.w.m.bd.servlet.BDInitServlet:64

My props.conf is the following:

MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 150
NO_BINARY_CHECK = 1
TIME_FORMAT = %H:%M:%S.%3N

When I try to add the file from the Splunk interface and add this configuration to the "Advanced mode", events are shown properly. But when the same file is coming from the forwarder it looks like the props.conf is not taken in account and event are not split on the timestamp

Any advice?

Kind regards

0 Karma

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are a couple of possible things going on here. If the forwarder in question is what's known as a heavy forwarder (that is, a full instance of splunk with an outputs.conf) it may be parsing the events (and handling event breaking) before it ever gets to the indexer.

Assuming that's not the case, I've heard it said that Splunk wants to capture both a date and a time with TIME_PREFIX, and if it can't, then it assumes it got the wrong answer and doesn't consider what it found to be a valid "_time", which is typically how the event boundary is determined.

I'd go with @somesoni2's answer above, as the quick way to fix the problem.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try to configure BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE.

BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\.\d{3}
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...