Getting Data In

How to configure load balancing on a heavy forwarder?

nce054
Path Finder

I am configuring a Heavy Forwarder to point to 3 indexers. I want load balancing to be enabled. Are the individual tcpout-server stanzas interfering with the load balancing? Are they even necessary?

[tcpout]
disabled = false
defaultGroup = default-autolb-group
indexAndForward = 1
[tcpout-server://server1:9997]
[tcpout-server://server2:9997]
[tcpout-server://server3:9997]

[tcpout:default-autolb-group]
disabled = false
autoLB = true
autoLBFrequency = 7
server = server1:9997,server2:9997,server3:9997
0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The tcpout-server stanzas are redundant, given that you have a routing group configured. What's the reason you set autoLBFrequency to just 7 seconds? There's going to be a lot of connection establishment/teardown going on. Just curious.

0 Karma

nce054
Path Finder

I borrowed this setup from someone else, I did not understand what the attribute meant. What would be an advisable period?

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, the forwarders will switch to a different indexer (randomly) every 30 seconds, or when EOF is reached on a monitored file. There are situations where you want to tune that, specifically if you notice an uneven event distribution across your three indexers.
Having a good distribution of events across your indexing tier is ensuring optimal search performance.
Take a look here for more details on each of the outputs.conf settings.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...