Getting Data In

How to configure directory and file monitoring on a universal forwarder?

ageorgiou
Explorer

Hi,

I've got a universal forwarder and I'm trying to monitor C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs. I've tried 2 solutions: CLI and Inputs.conf.

CLI: Splunk add monitor C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs
inputs.conf:

[monitor://C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs]
disabled = 0

Both solutions are not working and I've tried a combination of the two. Am I missing a step? Are there anyways to troubleshoot this so I can get a clear picture of whats happening ( in this case, not happening)?

0 Karma
1 Solution

ageorgiou
Explorer

The logs that I was trying to monitor is a Windows Event Log which monitor stanza can't monitor dynamically. To monitor Windows event log you have to use the stanza [WinEventLog]. See this documentation for more details:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.7/Data/MonitorWindowsdata

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ageorgiou
Explorer

The logs that I was trying to monitor is a Windows Event Log which monitor stanza can't monitor dynamically. To monitor Windows event log you have to use the stanza [WinEventLog]. See this documentation for more details:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.7/Data/MonitorWindowsdata

0 Karma

ageorgiou
Explorer

I tried putting the path in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/app/ and it worked but it doesn't monitor the logs in real-time and it seems to only get the logs once.

0 Karma

ageorgiou
Explorer

The only time the logs are updated is when I restart the forwarder.

0 Karma

NOUMSSI
Builder

Hi,
Try this

Splunk add monitor C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs -index indexName
0 Karma

ageorgiou
Explorer

This one doesn't seem to be working as well. I've also made sure that the index is created in the Indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...