Getting Data In

How to configure default values for parameters on Modular Inputs

andyrobinson

I am using C# SDK 2.0 and Visual Studio 2013 Extension for creating Modular Inputs. I am trying to understand the best way to specify default values for parameters, if it is even possible.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

There are 2 ways that come to mind :

1) hard code some defaults in your C# code. But then they are fixed as they are in compiled code.

2) So perhaps better , ship your modular input with a default/inputs.conf file that defines a parent stanza with defaults.

So , your default/inputs.conf might look like :

[foo]
some_default_param = 123

And then when users setup stanzas they can inherit the default parameters or override them

[foo://mystanza]
abc=1

[foo://anotherstanza]
abc =2
some_default_param = 678

View solution in original post

0 Karma

andyrobinson

That is the perfect answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

There are 2 ways that come to mind :

1) hard code some defaults in your C# code. But then they are fixed as they are in compiled code.

2) So perhaps better , ship your modular input with a default/inputs.conf file that defines a parent stanza with defaults.

So , your default/inputs.conf might look like :

[foo]
some_default_param = 123

And then when users setup stanzas they can inherit the default parameters or override them

[foo://mystanza]
abc=1

[foo://anotherstanza]
abc =2
some_default_param = 678
0 Karma

ruchika11

I changed my input.conf file but not able to see my default value on splunk setting=>data=>input=>app=>new page

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...