Getting Data In

How to configure default values for parameters on Modular Inputs

andyrobinson

I am using C# SDK 2.0 and Visual Studio 2013 Extension for creating Modular Inputs. I am trying to understand the best way to specify default values for parameters, if it is even possible.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

There are 2 ways that come to mind :

1) hard code some defaults in your C# code. But then they are fixed as they are in compiled code.

2) So perhaps better , ship your modular input with a default/inputs.conf file that defines a parent stanza with defaults.

So , your default/inputs.conf might look like :

[foo]
some_default_param = 123

And then when users setup stanzas they can inherit the default parameters or override them

[foo://mystanza]
abc=1

[foo://anotherstanza]
abc =2
some_default_param = 678

View solution in original post

0 Karma

andyrobinson

That is the perfect answer I was looking for.

Thanks!

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

There are 2 ways that come to mind :

1) hard code some defaults in your C# code. But then they are fixed as they are in compiled code.

2) So perhaps better , ship your modular input with a default/inputs.conf file that defines a parent stanza with defaults.

So , your default/inputs.conf might look like :

[foo]
some_default_param = 123

And then when users setup stanzas they can inherit the default parameters or override them

[foo://mystanza]
abc=1

[foo://anotherstanza]
abc =2
some_default_param = 678
0 Karma

ruchika11

I changed my input.conf file but not able to see my default value on splunk setting=>data=>input=>app=>new page

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...