Getting Data In

How to configure Splunk to recognize logs sent in syslog CEF format?

danje57
Path Finder

Hi all,

I've configured a Splunk Universal Forwarder to receive logs that are sent by other syslog in CEF format by our security devices, but when the Indexer receive the data, I saw in the GUI that data are not well parsed...

CEF:0|Apache|apache|||10.10.10.10 www.mysite.com - - [06/Mar/2015:08:55:09 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 5628 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; ip-label)"|Unknown| eventId=1069062516 app=http proto=TCP customerURI=/myuri catdt=Web Server art=fsfsdfsdfs rt=dfssdfsfsd dhost=hostname dproc=apache cs1=apache_access_log cs1Label=Module cs2Label=Host OS cs5Label=Mutex cs6Label=Facility cn3Label=ThreadId c6a2Label=Source IPv6 Address c6a3Label=Destination IPv6 Address ahost=hostname agt=10.10.10.11 agentZoneURI=/alluri av=7.0.5.7132.0 atz=Europe/Luxembourg aid=34AG-TzoBABCAAvKFbubdTg\=\= at=syslog dvchost=devhostname dtz=Europe/Luxembourg deviceProcessName=apache_access_log customerName=mycustomer _cefVer=0.1

Splunk recognizes some field that are preceded by the = (equal sign).

However, if data that are after the = sign contains a space, data is not well parsed.

For example:

c6a2Label=Source IPv6 Address

is recognized as

c6a2Label=Source         

IPv6 Address is not recognized for that field.

And this part is totally ignored by Splunk

CEF:0|Apache|apache|||10.10.10.10 www.mysite.com - - [06/Mar/2015:08:55:09 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 5628 "-" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; ip-label)"|Unknown|

How to configure Splunk to recognized that format?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you can't adjust the log entries at the source, you'll have to create field extractions for this sourcetype.

View solution in original post

Fatimabegum12
Engager

how to install and configure CEF app?

0 Karma

grantsales
Engager

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/487/

Use the TA for CEF. It seems to work pretty well for me, but if you're sending Syslog CEF you may have a syslog header that you need to strip off first.

0 Karma

danje57
Path Finder

Thx for the answer. But I don't understand where to install and how to configure the TA?

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you can't adjust the log entries at the source, you'll have to create field extractions for this sourcetype.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...