Getting Data In

How to configure Splunk to only index data from a database from the last 30 days?

singhh4
Path Finder

I have a database that stores proxy info which I want to index. The problem is that there is way too much data and I don't want to index all of it. I would prefer to only index the last 30 days worth of info. I couldn't find anything when looking through the index setting besides setting a storage limit. If I can't find a way to limit the indexing time, then I will have to use storage limit. Please help!

0 Karma
1 Solution

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi singhh4,

If you're getting the data into Splunk using a inputs.conf , reading a database dump for example, you can add the ignoreOlderThan option to set the this limit. This causes the monitored input to stop checking files for updates if their modtime has passed this threshold.

If you're getting the data into Splunk using a database query, simply use the query to only return the last 30 days worth of data.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi singhh4,

If you're getting the data into Splunk using a inputs.conf , reading a database dump for example, you can add the ignoreOlderThan option to set the this limit. This causes the monitored input to stop checking files for updates if their modtime has passed this threshold.

If you're getting the data into Splunk using a database query, simply use the query to only return the last 30 days worth of data.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...