Getting Data In

How to collect Microsoft Web Application Proxy logs from a remote host?

frippe15

Hi,

I want to collect Microsoft Web Application Proxy logs from a remote host. I tried with WMI, but in the Splunk Web, it doesn't show up from my remote hosts.
I also tried adding to inputs.conf and installing a forwarder on the remote host, but same result. It doesn't show in Splunk Web. Am I missing something?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To help narrow down where this is going wrong can you:

1) Try collecting the regular Windows System logs via WMI. Try searching index=* for a recent time period after you know the other system has generated some log entries and see if it shows up in hosts. You can disable this input once you get it working.

2) Repeat the same test only using the UF. You can find an example here. There are probably samples/examples right in some .conf files already on your system, perhaps just commented out. You can disable this after you get it working, or leave it enabled - your choice. If WMI worked but this won't, post your inputs.conf and outputs.conf, as satishsdange suggested.

Really, get those two working first. If you can't, then there's something more broken like permissions on the account are wrong, or maybe the time on the host is off.

3) Once you have the UF forwarding the system event log, we can try the non-default event logs using the it as well. (I have not had luck using WMI to collect non-default logs). Check here for instructions on setting that up. Note particularly you have to use the full name of the operational logs - the link explains that. If it's working - great! If you got #1 and #2 working but not this, then post your inputs.conf and outputs.conf from the UF so we can take a look at them.

Report back with what you find.

View solution in original post

Richfez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To help narrow down where this is going wrong can you:

1) Try collecting the regular Windows System logs via WMI. Try searching index=* for a recent time period after you know the other system has generated some log entries and see if it shows up in hosts. You can disable this input once you get it working.

2) Repeat the same test only using the UF. You can find an example here. There are probably samples/examples right in some .conf files already on your system, perhaps just commented out. You can disable this after you get it working, or leave it enabled - your choice. If WMI worked but this won't, post your inputs.conf and outputs.conf, as satishsdange suggested.

Really, get those two working first. If you can't, then there's something more broken like permissions on the account are wrong, or maybe the time on the host is off.

3) Once you have the UF forwarding the system event log, we can try the non-default event logs using the it as well. (I have not had luck using WMI to collect non-default logs). Check here for instructions on setting that up. Note particularly you have to use the full name of the operational logs - the link explains that. If it's working - great! If you got #1 and #2 working but not this, then post your inputs.conf and outputs.conf from the UF so we can take a look at them.

Report back with what you find.

frippe15
  1. System logs using WMI works.
  2. Only with UF is not working, this is my inputs.conf: [default] host = xxx-web-t1a

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-wmi.path]
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://System]
disabled = 0

and outputs:

Version 6.2.5

DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE!

Changes to default files will be lost on update and are difficult to

manage and support.

Please make any changes to system defaults by overriding them in

apps or $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local

(See "Configuration file precedence" in the web documentation).

To override a specific setting, copy the name of the stanza and

setting to the file where you wish to override it.

[tcpout]
maxQueueSize = auto
forwardedindex.0.whitelist = .*
forwardedindex.1.blacklist = _.*
forwardedindex.2.whitelist = (_audit|_internal|_introspection)
forwardedindex.filter.disable = false
indexAndForward = false
autoLBFrequency = 30
blockOnCloning = true
compressed = false
disabled = false
dropClonedEventsOnQueueFull = 5
dropEventsOnQueueFull = -1
heartbeatFrequency = 30
maxFailuresPerInterval = 2
secsInFailureInterval = 1
maxConnectionsPerIndexer = 2
forceTimebasedAutoLB = false
sendCookedData = true
connectionTimeout = 20
readTimeout = 300
writeTimeout = 300
tcpSendBufSz = 0
ackTimeoutOnShutdown = 30
useACK = false
blockWarnThreshold = 100
sslQuietShutdown = false

[syslog]
type = udp
priority = <13>
dropEventsOnQueueFull = -1
maxEventSize = 1024

0 Karma

frippe15

It´s working now, I had only default output.conf...:) So with output.conf in local and with tcp output specified, it´s working.

0 Karma

satishsdange
Builder

can you post your inputs.conf & outputs.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...