Getting Data In

How to change '_time'? _time is by default picking first alphabetical date column (Assigned) and doing +05:30

sudarshan391
Path Finder

Hello Experts,

I have different date column in a csv file and which I have uploaded manually and extracted the fields like "Assigned", "Closed", and "Created".

splunk by default indexing "_time" by picking first alphabetical date column which is Assigned and adding +05:30 hrs, I do not know why.

Whenever I query, it bring the data as per _time+5.30 (Assigned+5.30) but I am trying to display data as per "Closed" date column.

How can I change the values of _time from "Assigned" to "Closed" and remove the +5.30.
I want to have a time range picker that would reference a "Closed" column in the csv file as the _time.
Following query I tried but failed.

index=service_ticket  sourcetype=ServiceTicket| chart count by Closed category

Please Help!! Thanks in advance!![alt text][1]

twinspop
Influencer

You need to define the time format, time zone and placement in props for this sourcetype:

[ServiceTicket]
TIME_PREFIX = some-regex that defines where your time stamp starts
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
TZ = America/New_York
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20

Without a sample log, I can't help with the regex. You'll also need to change the TZ above to reflect your timezone.

Hope this helps.

sudarshan391
Path Finder

@twinspop thanks for your fast reply. I am new to splunk so, I am really sorry for my silly questions.

From the above reply I understand I need to define the time format, time zone and the date/time field which i required to index as _time by writing the regex in the props......which means i need to hard code that particular time-date filed in props.

I am pasting the sample log file here as a code, sorry i do not have enough karma points to attach anything. i sincerely appreciate if you can help with regex,

I have a question, which TZ i should mention because the data (tickets generated) which i am having is from US and Europe and I am preparing the dashboard/reports in Asia, should i mention my timezone here?

----------Headings----------
Number,Severity,Customer Identification,Open on behalf of,Affected Location,Affected Organization,Created,Assigned at,Resolved,Closed,Short description,Category,Subcategory,Subsubcategory,Resolver group,Resolved by,Solution Category,Solution SubCategory,Resolution notes,Contact source,Reopen count,Actual elapsed time,Pause duration,Has breached
alt text

-------demo tickets data--------
EDC136876,4 - Low,Andrew (GG TT LS),,CSL L,GG TT LS,2017-02-16 13:13:48,2017-02-17 00:47:17,2017-02-17 13:12:05,2017-02-24 14:01:34,Need to install Application on new laptop,Application,Software,Client Topics,EDC_Application_L1Support,Bogdan Peter (CT DD DS EU RO SERV 8),,,"Hello Colleagues,Issue has been resolved, we will close this ticket. Peter",Portal,0,894,651555,FALSE

twinspop
Influencer

The timezone you use in props.conf must reflect the timezone of the timestamp you are using as your event time (_time). It's not something that changes based on where you're viewing the log. It is part of the timestamp, even if it's not displayed as such.

[ServiceTicket]
TIME_PREFIX = ,
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
TZ = America/New_York
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 20

Hope this helps

0 Karma

sudarshan391
Path Finder

@twinspop, thanks for your reply. i understand but still there are two confusions.

1. If i written the regex for TIME_PREFIX to defines for "Closed" then it will be like hard-coded what in case if I have to prepare the another charts from "Created"? (to list the calls created per month )

2. the events which i am having are both from Europe and USA, what timezone i should put here?

Thank,
Sud

twinspop
Influencer
  1. You can always parse the other timestamps at search time. But splunk needs to know which timestamp is THE timestamp for the event.
  2. If your time zone changes from event to event, you really need to include it in the log itself.
0 Karma

pvarelab
Path Finder

1. I also would make sure that you actually have a value for all events for that timestamp. I.e. if your csv includes open tickets do not used closed as timestamp because some event will not have value there.

Also, you can use earliest and latest to get a bigger window than the one you are looking for and then use explicit filtering based on the actual date field you want to filter for.

2. There are another two options:

a) Even if you are receving events from different TZ they might have agreed in using a standar TZ for all logs, such as GMT. Check that with the owner of the app.

b) If you can get separate csv files for each TZ you can apply different TZ when indexing them.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...