Getting Data In

How to add eval command to props.conf?

btaxacher
Observer

Hello Splunk Community, I am trying to add the following command to the props.conf file to make the following search permanent:

btaxacher_0-1666017506075.png

I am still very new to the Splunk world and therefore I have no experience with the props.conf file.

I made a copy of the props.conf file in the folder /opt/splunk/etc/system/local and put the command in there (See below).

btaxacher_1-1666017877470.png

However, when starting Splunk now  the following message appears:

btaxacher_2-1666017926637.png

I suspect I phrased the command wrong or wrote it into the wrong section in props.conf.

Also, it would be interesting to know if the part of the command that brings the events in table form can also be written into the props.conf file and if so into which section of the file?

Many thanks and greetings

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

I'm not 155% sure what you want to achieve with this?

If you want to modify those events before those are written to buckets then I propose that you should look SEDCMD on props.conf, how to drop away unneeded part of event.

I you just want to format that on search time then probably you should use macro to replace that SPL query? Or just use EVAL-field1 = .... for each of those fields in your SPL on props.conf.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

btaxacher
Observer

Hello thanks for the answer,

first of all I am trying to remove certain content from the fields here, for example so that in the field "Datum" the expression "Datum: " is no longer displayed. This is already at the top of the table and does not have to be written again and again in the content of the field.

I have now used EVAL-fieldname in props.conf :

btaxacher_0-1666029426234.png

I restarted Splunk and the error message (from above) did not show up anymore.

However,  nothing changes in my search on the web server -> the expressions I wanted to remove are still displayed.

In addition, unfortunately, I do not know what is meant by SPL-query and macro.

Many greetings
btaxacher

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You shoul do those evals one by on, you cannot combine several SPL command into one entry separated with |. Also you should remember the precedence for those EVALs when splunk executes those (ASCII order), so select those names correctly if order is mandatory.

0 Karma

btaxacher
Observer

I have now separated the EVALs from each other:

btaxacher_1-1666078466570.png

In Splunk, the result of my search still looks like this:

btaxacher_0-1666078451530.png

By the EVALs in the props.conf the expression "Datum:" in the event 'Datum' should actually be replaced by " " (a space) ?

<

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...