Getting Data In

How to Configure Splunk Enterprise to receive Active Directory/Windows Event Logs from Snare without using a Splunk forwarder?

pavanae
Builder

Can anyone please tell me how to Configure Splunk Enterprise to receive Active Directory/Windows Event Logs from Snare? I know how to configure this using a Splunk Universal Forwarder, but I don't know how can it be done without using a Splunk Forwarder.

0 Karma
1 Solution

lmaclean
Path Finder

Hey,

You can set Snare agents to send to Splunk directly, current agent version only allows one config for output regarding port number for the multiple destinations you can have and have it with the syslog header or default.

While the latest Snare Server allows you to setup a "Reflector" to send the logs to multiple destinations, configured separately with options such as IP, Port, output format (Snare; Syslog 5424 or 3164; Qradar; RSA Envision; Raw), TCP/UDP/TLS, RegEx for Filtering what gets sent or not, and a search/replace option (good to change it from tab delimited to whatever you like).

Then just use the in-built sourcetype "windows_snare_syslog", though you will need to customise this afterwards as all it does is the timestamp format and I haven't seen a recent Splunk app yet for Snare.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lmaclean
Path Finder

Hey,

You can set Snare agents to send to Splunk directly, current agent version only allows one config for output regarding port number for the multiple destinations you can have and have it with the syslog header or default.

While the latest Snare Server allows you to setup a "Reflector" to send the logs to multiple destinations, configured separately with options such as IP, Port, output format (Snare; Syslog 5424 or 3164; Qradar; RSA Envision; Raw), TCP/UDP/TLS, RegEx for Filtering what gets sent or not, and a search/replace option (good to change it from tab delimited to whatever you like).

Then just use the in-built sourcetype "windows_snare_syslog", though you will need to customise this afterwards as all it does is the timestamp format and I haven't seen a recent Splunk app yet for Snare.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...