Getting Data In

How send indexed data older than 3 months to colddb monthly?

jrodriguezap
Contributor

Hi
I have indexed logs from more than nine months ago in the default directory: $SPLUNK_DB\dbcustom1\db
And I wish to run a task every month to send all logs older than 3 months to $SPLUNK_DB\dbcustom1\colddb

I would appreciate a clue please.

Regards.
Jorge

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Have a look at this article which nicely explains Splunk data bucket life cycle and various factors involved in the bucket movement to next stage.
http://wiki.splunk.com/Deploy:BucketRotationAndRetention

My guess will be to adjust the maxDataSize/maxHotSpanSecs to roll hot buckets to warm and then adjust maxWarmDBCount and maxHotBuckets values so that they contain only 90 day worth of data and then they roll-out to cold bucket.

e.g.

maxHotSpanSecs=86400   (daily roll-out of hot to warm)
maxHotBuckets=3
maxWarmDBCount = 87      (total hot+warm buckets are 90, so 90 days worth of data)

NOTE: Ensure that maxTotalDataSizeMB and frozenTimePeriodInSecs are sufficiently high so that cold buckets are not getting rolled-over to Frozen.

jrodriguezap
Contributor

Hi somesoni2
Thanks for you answer.
I'm testing your example with following parameters
maxHotSpanSecs = 3600
maxHotBuckets=3
maxWarmDBCount = 21

In 15 hours i get results, and I commented
a query.
With this I mean that when you reach total buckets will be sent to colddb. What if between maxHotSpanSecs splunk restart the service, but I'm wrong a new bucket is created. So this would impact total buckets.
thanks

Regards

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...