Getting Data In

How many log sources can be received and forwarded from a universal forwarder?

evang_26
Communicator

Hi users,

Probably a bit silly question, but because I've never seen that setup in any of Google searches, I have that simple question:

I want to use a forwarder to forward logs from about 50 Windows machines. Would that single (universal forwarder) be able to receive and forward logs from all those machines? Would that be an acceptable setup?

Regards

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A single forwarder should be able to support that load, but I think you'd be better off installing a Universal Forwarder on each Windows machine. Running forwarders locally makes for easier access to log files. See Considerations for deciding how to monitor remote Windows data.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A single forwarder should be able to support that load, but I think you'd be better off installing a Universal Forwarder on each Windows machine. Running forwarders locally makes for easier access to log files. See Considerations for deciding how to monitor remote Windows data.

---

evang_26
Communicator

Does that apply only for Windows logs? Because actually, I have another 50+ Linux hosts as well.

Regards

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The chapter on monitoring remote Windows data applies only to Windows machines. For Linux, I recommend installing the Splunk for Unix app.

---
0 Karma

evang_26
Communicator

Right, okay. so in any way, having the forwarders installed on the source system itself is always a better option.

Okay, thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...