Getting Data In

How does one fix the multiple Forwarders with same GUID issue on Windows boxes?

OldManEd
Builder

Everyone,

Here is my situation. I set up one Windows box with a Universal Forwarder, V6.3. This one forwarder was to be the one that all the many other forwarders would be cloned from. An older version of a Forwarder was placed on these other Windows boxes when another group created a Windows image. This older version was never set up properly.

In an effort to clean things up, the process that was used to re-do the Forwarders was the following;

1. Stop the Forwarder service on the Windows box
  2. Delete the “C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\” directory.
  3. Copy in the new, updated, directory, “C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\”.
  4. Restart the service

Everything looked OK but I'm using a separate server as a Deployment server and monitoring server. When I went to the Distributed Management Console under Forwarders>Instance I see the message below;

Note: Multiple forwarders installed on one host appear with identical host names, but different GUIDs.

When I went through all the devices listed, I only saw one entry for each hostname but I noticed that the GUIDs were all the same.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can clean this up?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

OldManEd
Builder

To address this issue, delete the file below and then restart the Splunk Forwarder.

“C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\instance.cfg”  

View solution in original post

OldManEd
Builder

To address this issue, delete the file below and then restart the Splunk Forwarder.

OldManEd
Builder

After further review, I found that the issue is with the following file;

It contains the GUID entry. From what I read, I need to remove the "guid = " line and on the Forwarder restart, a new GUID should be generated.

My new question is, can I simply remove the entire file? The only thing in it is;

[general]
guid = <number>
0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

After testing, it appears that deleting the "instance.cfg" file completely works fine. A new file is generated with a new GUID.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...