Getting Data In

How does one fix the multiple Forwarders with same GUID issue on Windows boxes?

OldManEd
Builder

Everyone,

Here is my situation. I set up one Windows box with a Universal Forwarder, V6.3. This one forwarder was to be the one that all the many other forwarders would be cloned from. An older version of a Forwarder was placed on these other Windows boxes when another group created a Windows image. This older version was never set up properly.

In an effort to clean things up, the process that was used to re-do the Forwarders was the following;

1. Stop the Forwarder service on the Windows box
  2. Delete the “C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\” directory.
  3. Copy in the new, updated, directory, “C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\”.
  4. Restart the service

Everything looked OK but I'm using a separate server as a Deployment server and monitoring server. When I went to the Distributed Management Console under Forwarders>Instance I see the message below;

Note: Multiple forwarders installed on one host appear with identical host names, but different GUIDs.

When I went through all the devices listed, I only saw one entry for each hostname but I noticed that the GUIDs were all the same.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can clean this up?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

OldManEd
Builder

To address this issue, delete the file below and then restart the Splunk Forwarder.

“C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\instance.cfg”  

View solution in original post

OldManEd
Builder

To address this issue, delete the file below and then restart the Splunk Forwarder.

OldManEd
Builder

After further review, I found that the issue is with the following file;

It contains the GUID entry. From what I read, I need to remove the "guid = " line and on the Forwarder restart, a new GUID should be generated.

My new question is, can I simply remove the entire file? The only thing in it is;

[general]
guid = <number>
0 Karma

OldManEd
Builder

After testing, it appears that deleting the "instance.cfg" file completely works fine. A new file is generated with a new GUID.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...