Getting Data In

How do you event break in props.conf?

AKG1_old1
Builder

Hello,

I am trying to break multiline events based on regex. but some events are not splitting properly.

Events should be broken before the timestamp occurrence. In the below given example of Full GC event, it should be a single event but it has been splitting in 2 different events.

props.conf

[G1_BETA]
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 30
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = ^\d\d\d\d-\d\d-\d\d
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
category = Custom
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false

raw data

2019-01-22T12:51:29.054+0100: 69921.814: [Full GC (Allocation Failure)  23G->10201M(28G), 12.6256586 secs]
   [Eden: 8192.0K(1424.0M)->0.0B(4408.0M) Survivors: 8192.0K->0.0B Heap: 23.5G(28.0G)->10201.9M(28.0G)], [Metaspace: 200039K->200039K(1230848K)]
 [Times: user=18.85 sys=0.10, real=12.62 secs] 

2019-01-22T12:51:47.419+0100: 69940.179: [GC pause (G1 Humongous Allocation) (young) (initial-mark), 0.0300747 secs]
   [Parallel Time: 24.3 ms, GC Workers: 11]
      [GC Worker Start (ms): Min: 69940181.0, Avg: 69940181.2, Max: 69940181.3, Diff: 0.2]

alt text

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @agoyal,

Please try below config in props.conf on Indexer/Heavy Forwarder whichever comes first from Universal Forwarder.

props.conf

[yourSourcetype]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER=([\r\n]+)\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}T\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\.\d{3}
TIME_FORMAT=%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S.%3N%z
TIME_PREFIX=^
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD=28

EDIT: Updated props.conf configuration, credit to @lakshman239

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

@harsmarvania57 : Thanks for reply. but i think problem is not with regex. these files are reading live and Full GC events are getting printed in 2 parts.There is a small 1-2 sec gap between printing line. So Splunk picks half part first and 2nd part later. Is there anything can be done in such situation.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Have a look at below parameters in inputs.conf on UF and try this config (I didn't test this parameter so not sure how it reacts)

multiline_event_extra_waittime = <boolean>
* By default, the file monitor sends an event delimiter when:
  * It reaches EOF of a file it monitors and
  * Ihe last character it reads is a newline.
* In some cases, it takes time for all lines of a multiple-line event to
  arrive.
* Set to "true" to delay sending an event delimiter until the time that the
  file monitor closes the file, as defined by the 'time_before_close' setting,
  to allow all event lines to arrive.
* Default: false.

time_before_close = <integer>
* The amount of time, in seconds, that the file monitor must wait for
  modifications before closing a file after reaching an End-of-File
  (EOF) marker.
* Tells the input not to close files that have been updated in the
  past 'time_before_close' seconds.
* Default: 3.
0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

@harsmarvania57 : Thanks I have added this to my UF but seems like not working.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you sure that gap is only 1-2 seconds for 2nd part of multi line events ? If it's more than that then you need to increase time_before_close as well.

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

yeah I tried tailing the log file and it was less than 3 secs. but I am going to try with increasing wait time to 5 sec.

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

use TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT as well, if you use should_linemerge

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I am breaking logs at timestamp only using LINE_BREAKER then is it really require TIME_FORMAT and TIME_PREFIX because splunk is automatically detecting TIMESTAMP correctly.

0 Karma

lakshman239
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Adding them will take away the default processing and evalate quickly and is also part of the best practices, when we manage multiline event with line breaker

p_gurav
Champion

Try to use SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true in props.conf.

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

Thanks for reply. but i think problem is not with regex. these files are reading live and Full GC events are getting printed in 2 parts.There is a small 1-2 sec gap between printing line. So Splunk picks half part first and 2nd part later. Is there anything can be done in such situation.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Yes, add the following to your inputs.conf: multiline_event_extra_waittime = true

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

@FrankVl : Thanks I have added this in my UNIVERSAL forwarder but not working.

[monitor:///net/dell730srv/dell730srv1/apps/LuasMaster/logs.../.log]
disabled = false
host = LUAS_2019_01_01
index = mlc_live
sourcetype = G1_BETA
multiline_event_extra_waittime = true
crcSalt =
whitelist = .*gc.log$|.*gc.
.log$
blacklist=logs_|fixing_|tps-archives

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

I assume you restarted after that change? Could be that the issue then still is with the actual linebreaking config itself.

0 Karma

AKG1_old1
Builder

Yeah I have restarted forwarder after this change. I have tried with manual upload of full file and events are break down as per requirement.

I ll try to set higher value of "time_before_close = "

0 Karma

eduardkiyko_

Try to set SHOULD_LINEMERGE to "true"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...