Getting Data In

How do you determine the rendered configuration as applied to a specific source?

krisreeves
Path Finder

splunk btool is a helpful tool that allows you to determine the result of merging the config on disk, but it doesn't help you to determine whether that config was applied to a given event. Is there any way to do this?

Context: I'm adding some broad configuration to certain sources, but I had to use a regular expression (negative lookahead) to exclude certain subpaths. I'm still getting some warnings in Splunk's internal logs about the timestamp format changing, which makes me uncertain that the config I wrote for timestamp parsing is actually applying to the log that Splunk is complaining about.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is no good way to do that but you can add --debug to btool and it will show you the files that contain the values that apply.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There is no good way to do that but you can add --debug to btool and it will show you the files that contain the values that apply.

0 Karma

krisreeves
Path Finder

I do know about --debug, but that doesn't tell me if Splunk is using what I'm seeing on the screen when processing data 😞

I'm currently working on attempting to add a static metadata field with transforms/props so that I can see when the config block has been applied. Thanks for confirmation though!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...