Getting Data In

How do I monitor Jenkins job logs and junitResult.xml from the same directory tree and parse them differently?

mszebenyi_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I’m setting up Splunk for our jenkins logs which are in a directory tree as that looks like this

Splunk Branch/
    <Job>/
        <date>/
            junitResult.xml
            job.log
    <Job>/
        <date>/
            etc…

I’ve set up a file monitor at the top but it wants to parse the XML files in the tree as raw text which doesn’t work out so well. Is there a way to have the filemon determine the source type of each file on the fly to parse it correctly? Thanks.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well, you really have two options here:

• Create two overlapping file monitor stanzas to selectively target and sourcetype:

[monitor:///src/splunk/current///*.xml]
    sourcetype = xml
    index = poopies

[monitor:///src/splunk/current///*.log]
    sourcetype = logs
    index = unicorns

This will allow you to set up two sourcetype-based stanzas in props.conf to configure event processing for each of these sourcetypes individually:

[xml]
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE = <\?xml version=
MAX_EVENTS = 10000
(...)

[logs]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
(...)

... or ...

• Have an all-encompassing file monitor stanza, and create two source-based stanzas in props.conf to configure event processing for each of these sourcetypes individually.

In inputs.conf:

[monitor:///src/splunk/current]

In props.conf, this would look like:

[source:/src/splunk/current/.../*.xml]
sourcetype = xml
index = poopies
MAX_EVENTS = 10000

[source:/src/splunk/current/.../*.log]
sourcetype = logs
index = unicorns
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

For the record, my preference goes to the first solution, mainly because I really don't like to see file monitor stanzas without a sourcetype and index specified. The best practice there is to set those two properties in inputs.conf as much as possible.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jensonthottian
Contributor

What metrics were you able to derive from the xml files. Will you be able to share some screenshots.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Have two different monitoring stanzas like this (assuming file extensions will be constant)

[monitor:///Splunk branch/*/*/*.xml]
your xml file data input configuration
index
sourcetype

[monitor:///Splunk branch/*/*/*.log]
your log file data input configuration
index
sourcetype
0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Well, you really have two options here:

• Create two overlapping file monitor stanzas to selectively target and sourcetype:

[monitor:///src/splunk/current///*.xml]
    sourcetype = xml
    index = poopies

[monitor:///src/splunk/current///*.log]
    sourcetype = logs
    index = unicorns

This will allow you to set up two sourcetype-based stanzas in props.conf to configure event processing for each of these sourcetypes individually:

[xml]
MAX_EVENTS = 10000
(...)

[logs]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
(...)

... or ...

• Have an all-encompassing file monitor stanza, and create two source-based stanzas in props.conf to configure event processing for each of these sourcetypes individually.

In inputs.conf:

[monitor:///src/splunk/current]

In props.conf, this would look like:

[source:/src/splunk/current/.../*.xml]
sourcetype = xml
index = poopies
MAX_EVENTS = 10000

[source:/src/splunk/current/.../*.log]
sourcetype = logs
index = unicorns
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

For the record, my preference goes to the first solution, mainly because I really don't like to see file monitor stanzas without a sourcetype and index specified. The best practice there is to set those two properties in inputs.conf as much as possible.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...