Getting Data In

How do I get splunk to use the timestamp of my data

dbcase
Motivator

Hi,

I have events that look like this

192.168.10.124 - - [02/Nov/2016:08:59:59 +0900] "GET /ICHealthCheck/serverstatus HTTP/1.1" 200 2 "-" "a10hm/1.0"

And I need splunk to use 02/Nov/2016:08:59:59 +0900 as the _time value when splunk imports the data. I testing this manually by importing a file and then using the timestamp dropdown in the Set Source Type section.

I have a prefix of \[ in the timestamp prefix field
%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S %z in the timestamp format field
and Asia/Tokyo +9 in the timezone field

Yet when the data gets imported I get a _time value of 11/1/16 12:00:00.000 AM for the above event.

There are lots more events that have the same problem.

What am I missing ???

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your events already contain timezone information, I believe you don't have to specify timezone explicitly (TZ attribute in props.conf).

For above data, your sourcetype definition should look like this

[yoursourcetype]
#Timerange related
TIME_PREFIX = ^(\S+\s+){3}\[
TIME_FORMAT = %d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S %z
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 25
#Linebreaking if you want to use this, or else keep yours
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\s)

View solution in original post

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your events already contain timezone information, I believe you don't have to specify timezone explicitly (TZ attribute in props.conf).

For above data, your sourcetype definition should look like this

[yoursourcetype]
#Timerange related
TIME_PREFIX = ^(\S+\s+){3}\[
SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\s)

dbcase
Motivator

Hi Somesoni2!

I think you are very very close! Once I applied your suggestions, I had to made a few modifications because I didn't give you all the info

In addition to the above event there are also events that look like this in the file:

219.110.1.249, 192.168.10.102 - - [01/Nov/2016:18:08:09 +0900] "GET /mp/styles/ext_button.css HTTP/1.1" 200 19010 "https://portal.intelligent-home.jp:10443/mp/customersearch.action" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko"

the TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT combination didn't work with both settings so I removed the %z at the end. That seemed to get very close (right date but the time was 5 hrs off)

Any other thoughts?

I tried using \[ for the time prefix but then the date and time got all screwed up again.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The time format of the above event still same as one in your question (hope that's not a copy paste error here), you'd need to update time prefix and line breaker. Give this a try

[yoursourcetype]
 #Timerange related
 TIME_PREFIX = ^(\S+\s+){3,4}\[
 SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false
 LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)(?=\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3})
0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Time format was still still the same but there was another IP address in there which threw off the TIME PREFIX regex but I;ll try your new one.... stay tuned 🙂

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

for whatever reason the %z at the end of TIME_FORMAT is only capturing +090 instead of +0900 and it is giving the parser and me....fits 🙂

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

using everything on your updated one except for the %z at the end

Log entry 192.168.10.124 - - [02/Nov/2016:08:59:59 +0900]

Splunk _time 11/2/16 3:59:59.000 AM

soooooo close!

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
My bad, change MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD to 26. (sorry I replied to you before my coffee, I can see better now)
0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

well that allowed the %z to work.... and yes there is a but coming......

but...... sadly it seems to have regressed back to the event date being the 2nd but splunk time is the 1st

Here is what I have

Timezone=Auto
Timestamp format=%d/%b/%Y:%H:%M:%S %z
Timestamp prefix=^(\S+\s+){3,4}\[
Lookahead=26
LINE_BREAK=([\r\n]+)(?=\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\s)

And what else I have is a bit less hair now........

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

my updated LINE_BREAKER doesn't have a \s at the end, so you may want to fix that as well.

For the 5 Hr difference, you'd see the difference between _time and timestamp on your data which will be equal to the difference between time zone on the data and your user timezone. What is the timezone your user-profile is using?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

My user is set to the central timezone (-0600). The data is in JST (+0900).

Ah, missed the \s, I'll get that corrected, thanks!

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Well I'll be...... it works! 🙂

TY!!!!

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Tokyo (Japan)                Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 8:55:00 AM JST UTC+9 hours 
Bloomington (USA - Illinois) Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 6:55:00 PM   CDT UTC-5 hours 
Corresponding UTC (GMT)      Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 23:55:00     

What is the time that you see for an event with timestamp of 02/Nov/2016:08*?

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

oh and the linemerge was already = false

0 Karma

dbcase
Motivator

Any other thoughts on how to close the 5hr time difference?

0 Karma

TStrauch
Communicator

Correct. Timestamps with integrated timezone information are automatically normalized to UTC time on the indexer. Its for showing consistent time data through the environment. In example you have users in different timezones. So the users get set the timestamp to their configured timezone.

0 Karma

gokadroid
Motivator

Just did a quick and dirty adjustment on my local instance and timestamp started reflecting correctly however we have to understand that a time has three aspects to it:

1) TimeZone in raw logs (Tokyo)
2) TimeZone of Indexer (??)
3) Timezone of User accessing the data (??)

I restarted my local laptop Spluk instance with updating my laptop timezone to Tokyo timezone and also changed my Splunk user timezone to Tokyo in the Splunk > Usernmae> EditAccount > TimeZone. After that when I upload your sample data it detected the way you want it.

Having said that:
This maybe what you want to achieve but is not advisable as Splunk will try to index the data by offsetting timezones depending on which timezones its indexers/users are in so that there are no mismatches and everyone gets a "localized" view.

Hope that it helps.

0 Karma

TStrauch
Communicator

Can you provide the sourcetype in props.conf to us pls. Its easier to fix problems by having the full information.

Some infos first. Splunk Indexers normalize every Date to UTC time. Just take a look at this answers post.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/135193/splunk-indexing-and-time-zone-normalization.html

Give me some feedback if this is helpful.

kind regards

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...