Getting Data In

How do I configure a data retention policy and a working script for my indexes?

sunnyparmar
Communicator

Hi,

I want to create a data retention policy for my all indexes, but I don't know how to configure this:
- coldToFrozenDir = "<path to frozen archive>"
- coldToFrozenScript =["<path to program that runs script>"] "<path to script>"
But how do we add this in the indexes.conf file? Can somebody give me the idea of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

alemarzu
Motivator

Sunnyparmar,

You have to set the frozenTimePeriodInSecs = property for each index. Data will be searchable for the time you specified. And If you do not specify a coldToFrozenScript, data is deleted when rolled to frozen.

[main]

90 days retention

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000
coldToFrozenScript = "$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python" "$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/myColdToFrozenScript.py"

View solution in original post

alemarzu
Motivator

Sunnyparmar,

You have to set the frozenTimePeriodInSecs = property for each index. Data will be searchable for the time you specified. And If you do not specify a coldToFrozenScript, data is deleted when rolled to frozen.

[main]

90 days retention

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 7776000
coldToFrozenScript = "$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python" "$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/myColdToFrozenScript.py"

sunnyparmar
Communicator

thanks.. will do the same...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...