Getting Data In

How can it be that a source type in use isn't listed in Settings: (Data) Source types?

DUThibault
Contributor

We have a single Splunk instance (the server) with a number of Forwarders on remote machines (the clients). I've installed Splunk_TA_nix which added a number of scripts as data inputs on the clients and on the server. I want to exclude the server, but since there is no way (that I know of) to reassign a script (or any data input for that matter) to a Server class, I first disabled the scripts on the server. This also disabled them on the clients (because the app deployment keeps Splunk_TA_nix in sync I suppose). So I started recreating the scripts as new data inputs assigned to a Server class that includes just the clients. But a number of the scripts have source types (auditd, Unix:ListeningPorts, etc.) that are absent from the Settings: (Data) Source types display, and as a result I cannot create the corresponding new data inputs. At the Input Settings step, just before Review, the Select Source Type drop-down refuses to find the ones I need.

Am I missing something obvious? Is this a bug? Is there a way to do this that is less painful, maybe by editing some .conf file(s)?

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the attribute pulldown_type=true is not set for your relevant sourcetype in props.conf, it won't show up in the UI.

0 Karma

DUThibault
Contributor

Interesting to know (at this point I sure wish that the Splunk Web Source Types page had a "Show hidden source types" check box; likewise for the Input Settings screen of the Add New Data Input work flow), but that does not seem to be what's happening here. Scouring the Splunk_TA_nix and splunk_app_for_nix archives, the only file that contains "pulldown_type" is Splunk_TA_nix/default/props.conf, and its value is true. So that's not why 9 of the 28 source types (auditd, Unix:ListeningPorts, Unix:Service, Unix:SSHDConfig, Unix:Update, Unix:Uptime, Unix:UserAccounts, Unix:Version, Unix:VSFTPDConfig) are invisible to Settings: (Data) Source types.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...