Getting Data In

How can i index the log file from a windows smtp service?

svendewindt
Explorer

Hi,

After a lot of searching, trying and bashing my head, i will drop my problem here. I would like to index the logfiles of a windows smtp service. I thought this would be easy, however I can't get it to work.

Splunk is installed on a debian along with some other tools. So to index Windows files, I need to install the universal forwarder. I installed version 6, so the Splunk_TA_windows is installed too. During the installation I cannot browse to c:\windows\System32\logfiles. It's not there. I can browse to the folder in Windows explorer... Ok, no problem, I select a directory to monitor and i will change it in inputs.conf.

I understand that i should edit

C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\Splunk_TA_windows\local\inputs.conf. It does not matter what i try, if I add c:\windows\System32\logfiles, the folder is not getting indexed. Any other folder will be indexed.

What is so special about this folder?
I see that Splunk also indexes the eventlog (system, security and application) how can I remove these? During the installation i made sure nothing was selected. I only want the folder to be indexed.
How do I make sure that the indexed info is not stored in the main index. I would like an index per server. Or is that a bad idea. I seems easy to remove an index when a server no longer exits.

The logfiles are in IIS format. I read some articles that Splunk can handle this, but I would need to change the props file. Is that the file on the forwarder or on the indexer?

Thanks for any ideas,
Sven

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...