Getting Data In

How can I import events from an AWS:RDS PostgreSQL data into a Universal Forwarder?

mlinebarger
Explorer

I have an application on an AWS:EC2 (Linux) instance that uses an AWS:RDS PostgreSQL instance (in the same subnet) to store its key process information and I'd like to pull from that DB table into Splunk for reporting purposes. I already have a Splunk Universal Forwarder installed and running on the EC2 instance; is it possible to get data from the RDS DB into the EC2 forwarder to pass on to the "splunkcloud" indexer(s)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

mlinebarger
Explorer

I think I may have just found my own answer... searching through Splunk docs, I see that there is no direct "monitoring" of DB tables and, therefore, a forwarder (such as the "Universal Forwarder" that I have set up) cannot gather data from a DB to pass on to an indexer. However, there is an add-on to Splunk Enterprise ("Splunk DB Connect") that will "import tables, rows, and columns from a database directly into Splunk Enterprise, which indexes the data". I will be talking to our Splunk administrator to see if we can get this add-on implemented. Wish us luck; it should do what we want.

View solution in original post

rohith17992

,I am having a concern regarding situation where a multiple DB's should be connected to splunk (Database logs should go to splunk), however this is possible with the universal forwarder but here I am not using the enterprise splunk where it is not showing DB connect or under DATA except(Report acceleration summaries) drop down settings bar on the top right in a commercial splunk console, In this case how can I install the forwarder to configure it with the RDS in the environment to draw the DB logs to go to splunk? What procedure I can able to follow to send the DB logs to go to splunk with no admin rights or by the commercial splunk. any suggestions are much appreciated.

0 Karma

mlinebarger
Explorer

I think I may have just found my own answer... searching through Splunk docs, I see that there is no direct "monitoring" of DB tables and, therefore, a forwarder (such as the "Universal Forwarder" that I have set up) cannot gather data from a DB to pass on to an indexer. However, there is an add-on to Splunk Enterprise ("Splunk DB Connect") that will "import tables, rows, and columns from a database directly into Splunk Enterprise, which indexes the data". I will be talking to our Splunk administrator to see if we can get this add-on implemented. Wish us luck; it should do what we want.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...