Getting Data In

How can I ignore internal splunk data when searching?

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

Without having to add a filter every time I search, is it possible to ignore all the internal splunk data when running a basic search? For example, we wanted to know if a user has ever logged into one of the systems, so I just typed the username in the search box. The only results I received were from Splunk itself, and the data was a bunch of rows containing the web logs for the query I just submitted to the system. I don't care to see these results, ever, so I'd like to exclude them from future searches. I tried disabling the indexes, but since they are internal, it would not allow me to do that.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the role(s) for your user only search non-internal indexes by default.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the role(s) for your user only search non-internal indexes by default.

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

Thank you! I removed the internal indexes as the defaults for the admin user and it looks like it's working as expected.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...