Getting Data In

How can I ignore internal splunk data when searching?

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

Without having to add a filter every time I search, is it possible to ignore all the internal splunk data when running a basic search? For example, we wanted to know if a user has ever logged into one of the systems, so I just typed the username in the search box. The only results I received were from Splunk itself, and the data was a bunch of rows containing the web logs for the query I just submitted to the system. I don't care to see these results, ever, so I'd like to exclude them from future searches. I tried disabling the indexes, but since they are internal, it would not allow me to do that.

Tags (4)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the role(s) for your user only search non-internal indexes by default.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure the role(s) for your user only search non-internal indexes by default.

joseph_hazlett
Explorer

Thank you! I removed the internal indexes as the defaults for the admin user and it looks like it's working as expected.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...