Getting Data In

How can I disconnect a forwarder to avoid going over my license limits?

shakeel253
Explorer

I have a certain limit on my Splunk Account on how much Splunk I can use, I recently installed Splunk forwarder to some of the servers and now I am exceeding Splunk License usage.

My question is what changes should I make on the server so I can stop forwarding logs?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You probably have a * which is picking up all the logs. So rather than turning the forwarder off, how about limiting the amount of logs your ingesting?

How big is your license? How many forwarders do you have? How many unique log files are you ingesting? What kind of data is it (i.e. firewall, security event logs)?

You will have to make the changes under inputs.conf on the server with the UF to limit the amount of data flowing in

0 Karma

jawaharas
Motivator

Thanks. Can you specify the parameter name in the 'inputs.conf' that need to be modified to limit the amount of data flowing in?

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can stop the splunk process, which will stop forwarding the logs -

Unix

cd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin
./splunk stop

(/opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk -stop)

windows
cd %SPLUNK_HOME%\bin
.\splunk stop

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...