Getting Data In

How To Investigate Hiccups (With Evidence)

morethanyell
Builder

Hello everyone!

I've tried looking at the _internal splunkd logs but couldn't make sense out if it. Boss is asking why there had been, suddenly, an abnormal gap between the events we're ingesting for a particular period in time. It's back to normal but we're trying to figure out what happened. I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Assuming your _internal logs go back far enough...

Take a look at the metrics.log - this will show you the rate/volume of data processed both by your indexers and forwarders.
You should be able to chart this data to find the gaps, and from this work out some time windows when your logs dried up.

Once you have these times, head over to the internal logs and look for messages about blocked queues, or major indexing issues...
However, if the problem was elsewhere (like your network) you're probably going to have very little to go on, but an absence of errors may help you identify that the issue was not with Splunk.

Ideally of course, you'd be 'Splunking' your network hardware - so that gives you something else to look at (if you have it)

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

morethanyell
Builder

Thank you. I will try this.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...