Getting Data In

How Can I Compare Fields Against Another SourceType?

taylornat

I have two source types -

• One with a list of hosts and their software (DataIn).
  • The other with a list of ideal version numbers for that software (IdealData).

I want to be able to compare the newest entry for hosts against the newest ideal software version.

I can't just use the newest host entry because there may be multiple entries for different software.

EG. Comparing DataIn vs. IdealData

Sourcetypes -
DataIn - Time,IP,MAC,Hostname,Software,Version
IdealData - Time, Software, Version

DataIn -
1/15/15, , ,Box1,VisiCalc,4
1/15/15, , ,Box1,Lotus,2
1/10/15, , ,Box2,VisiCalc,1

IdealData -
1/16/15,VisiCalc,3
1/5/15,VisiCalc,1

In this situation Box 2 would not be running the latest version, but Box 1 would.

Ideally I'd love to produce a list of hosts, showing the software that is out of date, but everything I'm trying isn't working. I'd love any help.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Assuming both the sourcetypes have _time field defined (timestamp recognition is setup). Try following query: -

index=A sourcetype=DataIn | stats latest(Version) as CurrentVersion by IP,MAC,Hostname,Software 
| join type=left Software [ search index=B sourcetype=IdealData | stats latest(Version) as IdealVersion by Software ]
| fillnull value="NA" IdealVersion 
| where IdealVersion!=CurrentVersion

taylornat

Thank you so much for going to all this trouble.

This works great!

index=A sourcetype=DataIn | stats latest(Version) as CurrentVersion by IP,MAC,Hostname,Software

& This works great!

index=B sourcetype=IdealData | stats latest(Version) as IdealVersion by Software

(although it repeats one Software title twice - not sure if that matters - same version)

However, the whole query doesn't work as I expected -

IP               MAC                  Hostname     Software    Cur.  IdealVersion
192.168.0.200   1A-A2-FF-EA-E4-C1   UserBox35   Lotus 123   7   NA   
192.168.0.50     D6-45-CE-D3-C2-6B  UserBox20   Lotus 123   4   NA

I would expect UserBox20 not to be in a list of Hosts that meet the ideal version (which is 5+)
(or to be included only if it was a list of Hosts that don't meet the ideal version).

Is it something I've done wrong or something the search doesn't account for?

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you try the search without the "| where..." clause and see if you get values for IdealVersion field at all?
Mean other than value="NA".

0 Karma

taylornat

It has the same results - with UserBox20 the same as before & NA for the IdealVersion.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We are joining based on field "Software", it may be possible that values are not same between two sourcetypes. To validate, run following query and let me know.

(index=A sourcetype=DataIn)  OR (index=B sourcetype=IdealData | stats values(sourcetype) as sourcetypes by Software

above search should gives either 2 valued field sourcetype for the common 'Software' values.

0 Karma

taylornat

Here are the results:

Software   sourcetypes
Eudora   IdealDATA
           DataIN
Lotus 123  IdealDATA
           DataIN
WordStar   IdealDATA
           DataIN

It gives both sourcetypes for each type of Software.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...