Getting Data In

Hostname macro in inputs.conf

afx
Contributor

Hi,
I have a Linux based application server that exists in two copies on xhostA and xhostB.
I am getting their syslog output via a localhost syslog interface into the UF which is installed on those hosts.

I do not want to push individual inputs.conf files. So how to I get the appropriate host name for the syslog input?
If I leave host emtpy, I get 127.0.0.1 which is not helpful. When I set the hostname, it then is identical for both systems.

[udp://127.0.0.1:8514]
connection_host = 127.0.0.1
sourcetype=linux_secure
no_appending_timestamp = true
index= xauth

Any ideas on how to rectify this easily?
I assume that

host=$decideOnStartup

would just deliver 127.0.0.1 as leaving host empty results in this.

thx
afx

0 Karma
1 Solution

afx
Contributor

Ok, to answer my own question...
In contrast to what I assumed, $decideOnStartup is resolved to the real hostname and not the referenced address of the input like the default for host.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

afx
Contributor

Ok, to answer my own question...
In contrast to what I assumed, $decideOnStartup is resolved to the real hostname and not the referenced address of the input like the default for host.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...