Getting Data In

Hostname macro in inputs.conf

afx
Contributor

Hi,
I have a Linux based application server that exists in two copies on xhostA and xhostB.
I am getting their syslog output via a localhost syslog interface into the UF which is installed on those hosts.

I do not want to push individual inputs.conf files. So how to I get the appropriate host name for the syslog input?
If I leave host emtpy, I get 127.0.0.1 which is not helpful. When I set the hostname, it then is identical for both systems.

[udp://127.0.0.1:8514]
connection_host = 127.0.0.1
sourcetype=linux_secure
no_appending_timestamp = true
index= xauth

Any ideas on how to rectify this easily?
I assume that

host=$decideOnStartup

would just deliver 127.0.0.1 as leaving host empty results in this.

thx
afx

0 Karma
1 Solution

afx
Contributor

Ok, to answer my own question...
In contrast to what I assumed, $decideOnStartup is resolved to the real hostname and not the referenced address of the input like the default for host.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

afx
Contributor

Ok, to answer my own question...
In contrast to what I assumed, $decideOnStartup is resolved to the real hostname and not the referenced address of the input like the default for host.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...