Getting Data In

Host based on filename

ehastings82

How can you create a "host" by the file name being indexed? Im looking to index my firewall configuration files, and currently the snapshots are saved with the firewalls hostname. Clear as mud?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can look at the host_segment and host_regex settings that can be used with the file monitor stanzas in inputs.conf, to extract the source host from the file path.

View solution in original post

rturk
Builder

FYI, and as a supplemental to the above answer, I keep my files in the following directory:

/var/splunk/input/mms_logs/

The filename structure is:

mms_HOST-IP-ADDRESS_TIMESTAMP.log

examples:

mms_10.152.58.100_20110101_004000_06137.log
mms_10.152.58.194_20110121_120000_70656.log

Now to extract the IP address portion of filename as a host, I used the following regex:

/var/splunk/input/mms_logs/mms_(\d+.\d+.\d+.\d+)_\d+

Voila! From the above examples I know have two hosts (10.152.58.100 & 10.152.58.194), along with all of the events that are hosted within the files 🙂

Hope this helps someone!

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can look at the host_segment and host_regex settings that can be used with the file monitor stanzas in inputs.conf, to extract the source host from the file path.

ehastings82

Your the man!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...